This is an annual scholarship named in recognition of long-standing SOWEGA CASA Board Member and Sumter County Community Leader Theresa Heffernan. Through her actions and her words, she expressed a love for, and dedication to, all of the children she encountered. Please email email@example.com to request the application form and submit it by April 16, 2021. Late applications will not be accepted. Applications can be mailed to The Theresa Heffernan Academic Scholarship Committee, C/O SOWEGA Children’s Alliance, PO Box 732, Americus, GA 31709 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Recipient must be a resident (at time custody was taken) of one of the counties in the Southwestern Judicial Circuit, Cordele Judicial Circuit, or the Patatula Judicial Circuit;
- Must have at any time been part of the DFCS system or CASA program;
- Must have been accepted for the upcoming fall semester to an accredited two or four year college or a Technical College;
- Must be recommended by DFCS, CASA or a local school system;
- Must have completed this application by the deadline and returned to the committee at The Theresa Heffernan Academic Scholarship Committee, C/O SOWEGA Children’s Alliance, PO Box 732, Americus, GA 31709 or emailed to email@example.com.
- Must also maintain in Good Standing with the technical college, two or four year college they are attending. An evaluation of grades will be conducted at the end of each semester to determine further eligibility.
This scholarship will be sent directly to the college of your choice, indicating that it can be used for tuition, fees, or books and should be treated as a scholarship of additional funds to you, not as a replacement for other college funds given in your financial packet. Payments will be scheduled to be made in at the beginning of each Fall and Spring semester that you are enrolled and in good academic standing. You will be eligible for this award for up to eight semesters, payable in $400.00 increments each semester. If there are remaining funds at the end of any semester, you are allowed to roll them to the following semester. The intent of the use of any “roll-over” funds is as stated above and will not impact the amount of the next eligible scholarship check.